- Sedimentology of clastic and mixed clastic-carbonate successions
- Invertebrate ichnology
Courses – 2009-2010
- EAS 100 – Planet Earth
- EAS 234 – Geology Field School (winter semester)
- IPG 514 – Petroleum Basin Analysis (winter semester)
My research is focused in the areas of sedimentology, paleoecology and paleontology. My research projects are typically multidisciplinary and commonly focus on problems involving the interface between geological and biological systems. Current projects include: mixed clastic-carbonate sedimentology of Middle Triassic successions in western Canada; Triassic arid coastal depositional successions; sedimentology of Lower Triassic tight gas intervals in western Canada; application of ichnology to the Permian-Triassic extinction event and biotic recovery in its aftermath; the sedimentologic and stratigraphic evolution of Early to Middle Eocene successions in the Green River Basin, Wyoming; and the ichnology and sedimentology of modern, macro-tidal, dissipative shoreface successions on Vancouver Island
Selected Recent Publications
- Gingras, M.K., Zonneveld, J-P. and Blakney, B.J., in press. Preliminary Assessment of Ichnofacies in the Gething Formation of NE British Columbia. In: Applications of Ichnology to Petroleum Exploration, J-P. Zonneveld, M. K. Gingras and J.A MacEachern (eds.), Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, v. 58.
- Zonneveld, J-P., MacNaughton R.B., Utting, J., Beatty, T.W., Pemberton, S.G. and Henderson, C.M. 2010. Ichnology and Sedimentology of the Lower Montney Formation (Lower Triassic), Kahntah River and Ring Border gas fields, Alberta and British Columbia. In: Applications of Ichnology to Petroleum Exploration, J-P. Zonneveld, M. K. Gingras and J.A MacEachern (eds.), Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, v. 58.
- MacNaughton, R.B. and Zonneveld, J-P. in press. Outcrop analysis of trace fossil assemblages in the Toad Formation (Triassic), SE Yukon Territory: Implications for regional hydrocarbon exploration. In: Applications of Ichnology to Petroleum Exploration - J-P. Zonneveld, M. K. Gingras and J.A MacEachern (eds.), Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, v. 58.
- Zonneveld, J-P., Beatty, T.W., Williford, K.H., Orchard, M.J. and McRoberts, C.A. 2010. Stratigraphic and sedimentary framework of the Lower Black Bear Ridge section, British Columbia: candidate for the base-Norian GSSP. Stratigraphy, v. 7, p. 61-82.
- Zonneveld, J-P., Gingras, M.K. and Beatty, T.W. 2010. Diverse ichnofossil assemblages from the Lower Triassic of northeastern British Columbia: evidence for shallow marine refugia on the northwestern coast of Pangaea. Palaios, v. 25, p. 368-392
- Kjarsgaard, B.A., Harvey, S. McClintock, M., Zonneveld, J-P.., DuPlessis, P. and Heaman, L.M. 2009. Geology of the Orion South Kimberlite, Fort à la Corne, Canada. Lithos, v. 112S; p. 600-617.
- Orchard, M.J. and Zonneveld, J-P. 2009. The Lower Triassic Sulphur Mountain Formation in the Wapiti Lake area: lithostratigraphy, conodont biostratigraphy and a new conodont biozonation. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 46, p. 757-790.
- Beatty, T.W., Zonneveld, J-P.and Henderson, C.M. 2008. Anomalously diverse Early Triassic ichnofossil assemblages in northwest Pangea: a case for a shallow marine habitable zone. Geology, v. 36, p. 771-774.
- Hunter, A.W. and Zonneveld, J-P.2008. Palaeoecology of Jurassic encrinites: reconstructing crinoid communities from the Western Interior Seaway of North America. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 263, 58-70.
- B.Sc. 1988, Calvin College, Grand Rapids Michigan
- M.Sc. 1994, Michigan State University
- Ph.D. 1999, University of Alberta