Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
Postdoctoral fellowship in the study of advanced cu ration methods for planetary materials
- Download: more info (pdf)
- Organization: Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
- Web Link: http://www.postdoc.ualberta.ca/en/~/media/postdoc/Postings/Meterorite.pdf
The Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alberta invites applications for a postdoctoral fellowship in the study of advanced curation methods for planetary materials.
The successful candidate will work with Dr. Christopher Herd in testing methods for the curation and handling of pristine planetary materials, including at cryogenic temperatures (< -10 °C). The candidate will participate in the design and execution of experiments to examine the preservation of volatiles in meteorites, including ices and organic matter. Access to meteoritic material from the University of Alberta Meteorite Collection will be provided.
Applicants should have a recent (within 5 years) Ph.D. in the general area of planetary materials research (petrology and/or geochemistry); experience with planetary materials, especially involving the analysis of organic matter, would be considered an asset. The position would be for one year, renewable for a second year. Although preference may be given to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents, citizens of other countries are eligible and are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should forward a letter of interest, a curriculum vita with a list of publications, and a list of three references to:
Dr. Christopher Herd
1-26 Earth Sciences Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2E3
T: 780 492-5798 (+1 if outside Canada)
Closing date: Position open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta offers appointments on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons.
- Academic Position Network
- Career and Placement Services - University of Alberta
- Careers in Geography
- Careers in Environmental Research Management
- Canadian Council for Human Resources in the Environment Industry
- Career Information from the University of Waterloo
- Energy Careers
- Environmental Career Organization
- Earthworks - Jobs in Geoscience
- Employment Resources in the Earth, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
- Geoscience Job Board site
- Guide to Outdoor/Environmental Careers
- National Council for Science and the Environment - jobs
- National Graduate Registry - Canadian
- Oil and Gas Careers
- Student Conservation Association - Job and Career Links
- Sustainable Development Job Bank
Human Geography career links
- Canadian Association of Geographers’ student opportunities
- Association of American Geographers
- Potential Careers in Geography for Geography Majors
- Human Geography jobs with an environmental focus
- Canadian Institute of Planners Employment website for job seekers
- Federal government
- Government of Alberta