Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
Assistant/Associate Professors - Planning (3 Positions)
- Organization: Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Web Link: http://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A107919463/
- The University of Alberta invites applications for any of three full-time, tenure track positions in Planning at the Assistant/Associate Professor levels. Two positions will be situated in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) in the Faculty of Science, and one in the Faculty of Extension. These positions are part of an initiative of the University of Alberta to establish itself as a leading Canadian institution in the field of Planning education and research.
Successful candidates will be responsible for the ongoing development and operation of an accredited undergraduate program in Planning, and involved in initiatives to enhance and expand Planning education and research at the University of Alberta. The undergraduate program operates in conjunction with the existing programs in EAS, most notably Human Geography and Environmental Earth Sciences. It is also affiliated with the Applied Land Use Planning program in the Faculty of Extension (http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/study/government-studies/alup/), which provides planning education for professionals, and with the recently established Alberta Land Use Institute (http://www.albertalandinstitute.ca/).
Successful candidates will hold a PhD and should have completed at least one degree in Planning. They will demonstrate high quality teaching, have an established or emerging track-record in research, and have the ability to conduct independent and collaborative research involving the supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. The successful applicants must already have, or be eligible for, membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP). Salary is commensurate with experience. The University of Alberta offers competitive salaries and an extensive benefit package.
There are three positions available. Details are listed below.
The first position is in EAS in the Faculty of Science. The successful applicant will be affiliated with the newly established Alberta Land Use Institute and will be expected to contribute to its development and strategic directions. Individuals with expertise in the following areas will be considered: Land Use Planning, Regional Planning, Environmental Planning, Land Use Economics, or Planning and Sustainable Development.
The second position is in the Faculty of Extension. Individuals must demonstrate experience in, or deep understanding of, community engaged research, and expertise in one or more of the following areas: Community Engagement and Planning, Sustainable Development and Planning, Regional Planning, or Professional Planning Education. The successful applicant will be associated with the City Region Studies Centre and/or the Applied Land Use Planning Program. Experience with online teaching is an asset.
The third position is in EAS in the Faculty of Science and is open to candidates with any area of Planning expertise. The ability to teach courses in GIS will be considered an asset.
The University of Alberta, one of Canada's largest research universities, is situated in Edmonton, a metropolitan area of over one million people with a vibrant research community and an excellent standard of living. Alberta's dynamic and growing communities provide excellent opportunities for local planning research and projects.
The application package must include a curriculum vitae, a statement of current research interests and plans for future research, as well as evidence of teaching effectiveness. Applicants must indicate the position(s) for which they wish to be considered. The package may also include a document outlining how the candidate would contribute to the development and delivery of a high quality undergraduate Planning program at the University of Alberta. Those interested in the position with the Faculty of Extension may also wish to provide a document outlining how they would contribute to continuing education in Planning.
Applications may be submitted online or sent electronically to the email address below. All documents are to be jointly addressed to Martin Sharp (Chair, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences) and Katy Campbell (Dean, Faculty of Extension). Applicants must arrange for three confidential letters of reference to be sent by email or by post to:
Executive Assistant to the Chair
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E3
Application review will begin February 28, 2013; however, the competition will remain open until suitable candidates are found. Early applications are encouraged.
For more information about the Undergraduate Program in Planning, please see the program website at http://planning.eas.ualberta.ca/. For more information about the Department, the Faculty of science, and the University of Alberta, please see http://www.ualberta.ca/EAS. For more information about the Faculty of Extension, please see http://www.extension.ualberta.ca.
Executive Assistant to the Chair
Dept of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2E3
Fax: (780) 492-8190
- Academic Position Network
- Career and Placement Services - University of Alberta
- Careers in Geography
- Careers in Environmental Research Management
- Canadian Council for Human Resources in the Environment Industry
- Career Information from the University of Waterloo
- Energy Careers
- Environmental Career Organization
- Earthworks - Jobs in Geoscience
- Employment Resources in the Earth, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
- Geoscience Job Board site
- Guide to Outdoor/Environmental Careers
- National Council for Science and the Environment - jobs
- National Graduate Registry - Canadian
- Oil and Gas Careers
- Student Conservation Association - Job and Career Links
- Sustainable Development Job Bank
Human Geography career links
- Canadian Association of Geographers’ student opportunities
- Association of American Geographers
- Potential Careers in Geography for Geography Majors
- Human Geography jobs with an environmental focus
- Canadian Institute of Planners Employment website for job seekers
- Federal government
- Government of Alberta